We have seen a wide variety of scams and spam mails coming through lately. Here are somethings to look out for from the TOP 5 South African Banks Phishing Scams.
What is the scam? Here is a typical scenario
1. You receive an email requesting you to login to your online banking profile, update you details or view your statement.
2. You are redirected to a website which looks exactly like your banks website with the login field exactly like your banks website
3. You attempt to login but either get an error or a response saying currently unavailable
4. You exit the site and forget about the email or try again later
5. The scammer receives all of those details you filled in, IE username, password, ID number…
6. The scammer accesses your bank account and attempts to empty your account
Examples of the email:
Examples of the Websites:
What to watch out for? Here are typical items
1. Check who the email is from, if the address looks vaguely suspicious, delete it or forward to your bank (details below)
2. EVERY TIME YOU VISIT ONLINE BANKING LOOK FOR THIS: HTTPS its called an SSL Certificate, it is a requirement for all secure online sites
How can you report it?
Most banks have their own reporting websites
Your mailbox is full – contact administrator – Click here…